What Does It Mean To Be Free?
After you are saved by faith in the Lord Jesus, God begins a new work in you to set you free from bad habits and any bondages that may exist in your life. God wants you to be totally free so you can be all that He desires for you!
What we are
- Whether we realise it or not, we were all bound spiritually as a consequence of our mistakes.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 6:23
- Our sins also gave Satan permission to rule, overpower and curse us (Galatians 5:19-21).
- Our spiritual understanding was darkened (2 Cor 4:4).
- Our soul was rejected and wounded.
- Our bodies are weakened by sickness.
- Our finances are constantly in lack (Malachi 3:10-12).
What we have
Christ’s work on the cross provided for us to be free.
- But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing.
Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree. – Galatians 3:13
- In Christ, the penalty of our sin is paid for, and the power of sin is broken over our lives. This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person.
The old life is gone; a new life has begun! – 2 Corinthians 5:17
- As we honour and respond to the Holy Spirit’s guidance, we experience and enjoy the freedom Christ won for us.
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. – Romans 8:14
What we can do
- Desire to be set free and to live in freedom.
- Identify the causes of bondages with the Holy Spirit’s help.
- Confess and turn away from our sin.
- Have faith to receive what Christ has done for us, with the Holy Spirit’s help.
- Pray and fast to strengthen our spirit.